NCI Logo
SPECIAL REPORT - 1/16/2007
-- Is Food From Cloned Animals Okay?
-- Attitudes toward health.
-- Lower the glycemic index/load of your meals.
-- January Sale.
-- Saliva Versus Blood for Testing Hormones.
-- Is Your Quality of Life What it Should Be?

Is Food From Cloned Animals Okay?
 Many of you have asked my opinion about the FDA's recent decision to consider cloned animals safe for human consumption.

Unfortunately, I equate the FDA's cavalier judgement on this issue the same as when they ruled on the safety of viral adulteration (see Bonnie's Special Report 9/15/2006).

Here is some information uncovered by the Center for Food Safety:

The FDA's endorsement of cloned food comes despite widespread concern among scientists and food safety advocates over the safety of such products. The move to market cloned milk and meat also flies in the face of dairy and food industry concern and recent consumer opinion polls showing that most Americans do not want these experimental foods.

The FDA action follows the recent news that the agency has refused to investigate health problems in animal clones on a U.S. dairy farm. Greg Wiles, whose Williamsport Maryland "Futuraland 2020" dairy was the first farm in the nation to have cloned cows, told FDA officials that one of his two cow clones was suffering from unexplained health problems.

Cloning scientists have acknowledged that genetic abnormalities are common in clones, yet FDA failed to address how food safety and animal welfare concerns could be managed if cloning is widely adopted by the livestock industry. Some of the health and safety problems include:

* Surrogate mothers are treated with high doses of hormones; clones are often born with severely compromised immune systems and frequently receive massive doses of antibiotics. This opens an avenue for large amounts of veterinary pharmaceuticals to enter the human food supply;

* Imbalances in clones' hormone, protein, and/or fat levels could compromise the quality and safety of meat and milk;

* The National Academy of Sciences warned that commercialization of cloned livestock for food production could increase the incidence of food-borne illnesses, such as E. coli infections;

* Cloning commonly results in high failure rates and defects such as intestinal blockages; diabetes; shortened tendons; deformed feet; weakened immune systems; dysfunctional hearts, brains, livers, and kidneys; respiratory distress; and circulatory problems.


Whether or not you agree philosophically with cloning, there is no safety data to back up its use in the food supply.

Stay tuned.

FDA Approves Viral Adulteration of Our Food Supply.

Attitudes toward health.
 As we see it, there are three attitudes toward health.
  • Proactivity
  • Guilt driven
  • Seasonal Fix

Care to guess which attitude we would like our clients to adhere to?

drumroll please...



Lower the glycemic index/load of your meals.
 The glycemic index is the amount of sugar content in a food. What’s most important is glycemic load, the indicator of how fast food turns into glucose. Here are several ways to minimize your glycemic load:

  1. Eat protein with every meal! Protein will lower the glycemic load of a meal.
  2. Avoid refined grains. Use whole grains if needed.
  3. Eat smaller portions.
  4. Do not overcook. Overcooked foods have a higher GI.
  5. Emphasize fruits and vegetables for carb consumption - lessens impact on blood sugar.

For more detailed information, refer to the following:

Blood Sugar Balance Action Plan

January Sale.
mag 20% OFF!
Metagenics Mag Glycinate 120 & 240 tabs
Pure Encaps Magnesium Glycinate 180 caps
Metagenics ChondroCare 120 tabs

Order here.

Saliva Versus Blood for Testing Hormones.
 Many of you know that I prefer hormone testing by saliva versus serum (blood). However, many of you do not know why. Simply put, "free" estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone make up only 2% of our hormones. However, they are the most accurate hormones for testing. Serum (blood) testing cannot distinguish the "free" hormones from the other 98%, which are considered "bound". Salivary testing makes this distinction because only free, not bound hormones, exist in saliva.

Saliva hormone testing is more convenient because it can be done at home, is less stressful, more cost-effective, and more representative of the bioavailable fraction of hormones in blood than serum hormone testing.

Women's Wellness Today, January 2007
Townsend Letter, January 2004


Is Your Quality of Life What it Should Be?
 In case you missed this in our last update, the new year has begun. We have mapped out our goals, resolutions, and can exhale from the stress of the holidays. Have you evaluated your quality of life?

What is Your Quality of Life?

Nutritional Concepts, Inc.
phone: (847) 498-3422